University-Model Schooling, is it for my family?
UMS is for your family if…
- you believe you are your child’s first and most important teacher.
- you believe that, as the parent, you are in charge of your child’s education.
- you believe that parents are to travel the journey called education with their children and you consider it a joy and privilege to do so.
- you have a need and desire to partner with gifted and professional teachers in a character-based academic environment, appealing to students’ hearts as well as their minds.1
- you desire to intentionally position yourself toward your child and his/her educational needs, putting their needs over your own.
- your family situation allows for a parent or acting parent to be available to your child while studying at home.
The most important change in education in the last fifty years has not occurred in schools; it has occurred in the minds of parents who no longer take responsibility for their children’s education.
Right from Wrong: What You Need to Know to Help Youth Make Right Choices, Josh McDowell and Bob Hostetler, p. 41
University-Model Schools® are successfully accessing the most powerful known single influence for reforming education in America: meaningfully involved parents!
1Character Driven College Preparation: Parents & Teachers in Partnership Through University-Model Schooling, Dr. John Turner, Jr., p. 10